From Greenhouse Glass to Greenhouse Gas
Balmuirfield once was home to a market garden business producing tomatoes, fruit and vegetables. Things have changed quite a bit from that time but maintaining a good relationship with the land is very important to us. We do our best from here at our little Scottish B&B to help preserve this wonderful planet. To accomplish this we make some informed choices on the way we work at Balmuirfield and we ask that you help, just a little, by observing some of our practices whilst staying with us.
- We shop locally and try to promote local suppliers whenever possible
- We use an eco friendly biomass wood pellet boiler for all our heating and hot water. All wood pellets are A1 rated and sourced in the UK.
- We do our best to recycle all glass, metal, cans, plastic, paper and household waste. All food waste is converted into compost for our garden. We are more than happy to assist your recycling efforts by disposing of any waste at the end of your stay.
- Although there is water aplenty in Scotland, we ask our guests not to waste any and help reduce our usage by placing towels on the rail that they will use again, and to place towels in the bath that require cleaning.
- We use the innovative ENJO cleaning system that uses only water which minimise the amount of chemicals we expose ourselves and our guests to.
- We do all our laundry in house to cut down on CO2 emissions.
- Our guest toiletries are SLS and SLES free. They are also paraben free and are not tested on animals. Our suppliers, Ness Handmade Toiletries, help young people throughout the inverness area to develop the skills required for successful onward progression into sustainable work or vocational training. They also make fantastic eco friendly products.
- We use mostly LED and energy saving light bulbs throughout the property. There are a lot of lights within the house and it helps if you remember to switch off your bedroom lights when leaving your room to help us save energy.
- We can provide walking and cycling information so that our guests may enjoy nature in a sustainable, natural way.
- We provide storage for bicycles and any wet outdoor wear in our boiler room making great use of the residual heat generated.